Sunday, September 15, 2013

My first impressions (and thoughts) of Skullgirls

This is NOT a review by a veteran fighting game player; just a new player giving his own impression of the game. Now that you've got it, let's move on.

This is my personal thoughts of the fighting game Skullgirls and thus, everything is purely subjective.

I wasn't a fan of fighting games when I bought this game,              Game: Skullgirls
but since the game advertised that this is a game made               Platform: PS3, X360, PC (Steam)
for both newcomers and veteran fighters, I gave it a go.                 (PC version played)
                                                                                               Developer: Lab Zero Games
                                                                                               MSRP: $14.99

The story. I don't want to spoil you guys, so read at your own risk.

SPOILERS FOLLOW.
The game is set in a fictional kingdom called Canopy Kingdom, and to be more specific, the city of New Meridian. The main artifact of the game is the Skull Heart, which grants a woman's wish every 7 years. If the wish is impure, she would become the oh-so-called Skullgirl.
SPOILERS END HERE.

The story is split into eight  (plus 1) stories, each for every character. The story is, in general, considered non-canon by Lab Zero devs although they do have plans to do a canon story.


I really like the art style and animation. Considering that it's hand drawn with over 1600 frames for a single character, it's really expressive. It's vibrant, beautiful, and well done. Also, the battle backgrounds are really well detailed.

The characters. In the vanilla game, there are only 8 playable characters. These are:
  1. Cerebella
  2. Double
  3. Filia
  4. Ms. Fortune
  5. Painwheel
  6. Parasoul
  7. Peacock (My favorite)
  8. and Valentine.
There is also an another character, Marie, who serves as a final boss. Also, there are DLC characters (funded through Indiegogo) in the works. The only character that is released as of now is:
  1.  Squigly (Also my favorite)
And four more along the way.
  1. Big Band
  2. Eliza
  3. Beowulf
  4. Robo-Fortune

Honestly, I'm a total noob at fighting games considering that I never played one before. So all I pretty much do was to mash buttons in frustration. Yeah, right. But I did went to the tutorials, which is helpful and interactive, something that a new fighting game player would appreciate. I never did any multiplayer because I knew I was a noob. At fighting games.

Nonetheless I'm trying to start practicing with fighting games, because honestly, fighting games has a rather steep learning curve.

But don't get me wrong though; it's a great game; with great story to talk about; and great art style. I'm frankly more interested in characters and story than the game in general, but one thing for sure: It's a great fighting game for both beginners (Thanks tutorials) like me and veteran players as well.
~EJB

No comments:

Post a Comment